Fifty years after burying his brother and best friend, John Santi spent almost every fortnight by his grave site.
So when he saw his brother’s name in a newspaper along with 143 others calling for family members to contact the coroner, it marked the beginning of 16 months of hell culminating in a formal apology from the Tasmanian government.
Tony Santi had died in a motorcycle crash when he was 19 in 1976.
A 13-year-old John remembered his brother’s body being taken to the Royal Hobart Hospital before his family received the remains to be buried.
But a coronial investigation in September found the University of Tasmania’s RA Rodda Museum secretly kept 177 human autopsy samples for teaching and research purposes between 1966 and 1991.
Tony was one of them.
‘Stolen his brain’
The remains were collected without the knowledge or approval of families or loved ones.
“We buried him 50 years ago, only to find out 50 years later that these people had stolen his brain,” John said.
“I went to my brother’s grave site every second week and then to realise he wasn’t even all there.”
The Tasmanian government will on Tuesday formally apologise for the past practice of retaining body parts after autopsies without the knowledge or consent of family members.
John recalled the confusion among him and his brothers after seeing Tony’s name in the paper in 2025.
A coroner told him it was just a minute piece of brain that had been kept.
“When I met the funeral people at the cemetery to rebury that piece of brain, they passed it to me in a shoe box,” John said.
“I opened up the shoe box and it was his whole brain.
“To have to rebury a loved one twice in 50 years is inconceivable.”

A coronial probe was launched in 2016 after the museum’s curator raised concerns three specimens had been kept without the consent of the coroner or families involved.
Now-deceased forensic pathologist Royal Cummings had provided the large majority of the specimens to the museum, coroner Simon Cooper said in his September report.
The remains in question were removed from public display in 2018, before the coroner’s office spent years reconciling records to determine their origin.
Independent MP Meg Webb said the formal apology was an important step in responsibility and accountability, but it won’t undo the harm caused, answer all unresolved questions, or rebuild broken trust.
“There may need to be further steps taken to consider appropriate redress for affected families for the unspeakable treatment of their loved ones,” she said.
John hopes for accountability for the departments involved, justice for those who stole people’s organs and compensation for the trauma they’ve suffered.
“It has taken so long, and it’s been so traumatic for the families, and still is, and I don’t think the apology is going to make much difference to anybody,” he said.
The University of Tasmania has previously apologised and met with families.
News
“HE WAS A GOOD BOY…” — Emotional Testimony in Julio Foolio Case Leaves Courtroom Silent ⚖️ The courtroom reportedly turned emotional after the grandmother of one of the men accused in the killing of Julio Foolio took the stand and described her grandson as a “quiet, calm” child who struggled with a stutter growing up.
The courtroom fell silent during a recent hearing connected to the case surrounding the killing of Julio Foolio after the…
EMOTIONAL COURTROOM MOMENT — Mother of Defendant in Julio Foolio Case Breaks Down During Sentencing Hearing ⚖️ The courtroom in Tampa reportedly turned emotional as the mother of Sean Gathright, a defendant connected to the case involving Julio Foolio, addressed the court with a personal statement about her son. She described him as someone who once had creative dreams, interests in the arts, and hopes tied to filmmaking — a painful contrast to the serious allegations and evidence discussed throughout the case. As the sentencing phase continues, emotions remain high on all sides, with the court still reviewing testimony and evidence before a final decision is reached. Now, many are reacting not just to the case itself… but to the heartbreaking reality of watching families speak through grief, fear, and uncertainty inside the courtroom. Further updates below 👇
The courtroom grew emotional during the latest proceedings connected to the case surrounding the killing of Julio Foolio, as the…
Right wing Neighbours star Holly Valance doubles down on her support for Pauline Hanson and demands Australians to ‘stand up for your country’: ‘Don’t be embarrassed’
Holly Valance has demanded Australians stop being ’embarrassed’ about being patriotic, as she marched alongside far-right figure Tommy Robinson in London on Saturday….
“WILLIAM IS READY TO MAKE A MASSIVE SACRIFICE…” — Prince William is reportedly considering selling off nearly one-fifth of the Duchy of Cornwall in a bold £500 million plan aimed at tackling Britain’s housing and environmental crises.
Prince William is preparing for a shake-up of the Duchy of Cornwall by selling off around a fifth of the vast…
“RIOTS OVER A WATCH?!” — Violent scenes have erupted across parts of Europe as chaos broke out outside Swatch stores, with police dog handlers reportedly called in after crowds became uncontrollable.
Violent scenes erupted across Britain, Europe and the US this weekend after the launch of Swatch’s latest limited-edition watch –…
KING CHARLES MADE A SHOCKING MOVE…— Serious questions are being raised after royal protection officers at Windsor Castle were reportedly placed under investigation over claims some were caught sleeping while on duty.
ing Charles‘ security does vital work in keeping him and Queen Camilla safe, at home and on public engagements. However, police officers…
End of content
No more pages to load






