Dramatic Footage from Gravelines Beaches Shows “Operation Stop The Boats” in Action – French Authorities Launch Investigation as UK Public Opinion Divides

 New footage from the windswept beaches of northern France has ignited a fierce national debate in the UK, as a group of British vigilantes filmed themselves slashing small migrant boats intended for Channel crossings. Described as “when a government won’t act, the people will,” the clips – shared on social media under the hashtag #OperationStopTheBoats – show masked individuals destroying engines and puncturing dinghies hidden in dunes, claiming to prevent “illegal” journeys. The videos, posted by the Raise the Colours group, have amassed over 500,000 views, drawing both praise for “taking action” and condemnation for “vigilantism that endangers lives.” As French prosecutors open an investigation, the incidents highlight escalating tensions over the migrant crisis, with 39,000 small boat arrivals in 2025 alone.

The Raise the Colours activists, who gained notoriety for draping Union flags across British towns in 2024, have made three trips to France in recent weeks, documenting their “sabotage” on YouTube and X. In one video, filmed near Gravelines, a group unearths a buried outboard motor and hacks it with knives, declaring, “Stopping the boats, whether the migrants or government like it or not!” Another shows them chasing men attempting to board a dinghy, flashing strobe lights and shouting. The group, led by Ryan Bridges with 50,000 followers, has solicited donations, raising £8,000 for “operations.” “We’re doing what our leaders won’t,” Bridges told iNews. “France isn’t stopping them—we will.”

The actions echo earlier incidents, including a September Ukip video of activists harassing sleeping migrants with lights and shouts. French authorities, under pressure from the UK-France migrant deal signed in July, have responded forcefully. The Dunkirk prosecutor’s office launched a probe into “aggravated violence” against migrants by suspected British far-right figures, with two arrests made in October for similar boat sabotage. President Emmanuel Macron’s pledge to “clamp down” has been criticized as ineffective, with 217 arrivals on November 14 alone. The treaty allows UK returns but has processed just 113 so far, against 84 legal intakes.

UK reactions are polarized. Supporters, including Reform UK’s Nigel Farage, hail it as “citizen action” amid Labour’s stalled reforms. “Too little, too late from Starmer,” Farage tweeted. Critics, including Refugee Action’s Tim Naor Hilton, warn: “Pullbacks like slashing boats are violent and reckless – they’ll turn the Channel into a graveyard.” Ofcom has received 1,200 complaints over the videos, and Home Secretary Yvette Cooper condemned them as “dangerous vigilantism that undermines the law.”

The footage arrives as crossings hit record highs, with public anger fueling far-right protests. French gendarmes have been filmed slashing boats at sea to prevent launches, but vigilante involvement risks escalation. “These acts endanger everyone,” said Macron’s office.

As the debate rages, one truth emerges: with governments divided, ordinary citizens are filling the void – for better or worse. The Channel’s waves may calm, but the storm of opinion swells.