South Sydney and former Queensland State of Origin enforcer Jai Arrow will retire from the NRL immediately after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease.
Souths chief executive Blake Solly revealed the devastating diagnosis on Wednesday.
Powered by
GliaStudios
Arrow remained silent during Souths’ press conference while he sat alongside Solly as he delivered the harrowing news.

Only 30 years old, Arrow has played 98 games for the Rabbitohs since Wayne Bennett lured the classy forward to the club in 2021 after handing the then-25-year-old his first-grade debut at Brisbane a decade ago.
Arrow proposed to his fiancée Berina Colakovic during a romantic post-season holiday in Italy in October 2024.
That December, the loved-up couple took to Instagram to reveal they were expecting their first child together.

Souths star Jai Arrow (pictured with partner Berina Colakovic) has retired effective immediately after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease

Arrow is pictured at the press conference where the harrowing news broke on Wednesday. He didn’t speak as Souths CEO Blake Solly read a prepared statement on his behalf

Arrow and his partner are parents to daughter Ayla Rae, who was born in April last year
Their daughter Ayla Rae was born in April 2025.
‘After extensive medical testing and consultations regarding ongoing symptoms, I’ve recently received a diagnosis relating to a nerve and neurological condition,’ Solly said on Arrow’s behalf.
‘Further tests, specialist reviews and medical processes are still ongoing, and my doctors are continuing to assess my condition.
‘Over recent months, my symptoms have affected different parts of my everyday life.
‘On medical advice, I’m currently not medically cleared to train or play at the required level, and I’ll be stepping away from those duties wile I focus fully on my health treatment and rehabilitation.
‘What I need right now isn’t sympathy or sadness. What I need is support, understanding, and privacy while my family and I navigate this difficult time.’
Bennett praised Arrow, saying the Bunnies star ‘always puts his family and his team first’.
‘This is a difficult time for Jai and his family, however, we want to pay tribute to him for everything he has given his teammates, his coaches and his communities in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, the people of Queensland, and here in Sydney,’ Bennett said.

The 30-year-old star stamped himself as one of the league’s best forwards as he played a total of 178 NRL games for the Broncos, Titans and Rabbitohs

Souths coach Wayne Bennett (pictured right with Arrow, left, and Solly) hailed Arrow for always putting his family and his team first
‘Most importantly, we pay tribute to him for the family man he has become.
‘He is a special guy and we’re all very lucky to have him at our club and in our lives.’
Solly stressed that Arrow, his partner and daughter are ‘very much part of the Rabbitohs family’.
‘We all know how difficult the past few months have been for Jai, but we also know that he will fight this illness with the same bravery, passion and character that was the hallmark of his playing career.’
The tough forward is hugely respected in NRL circles and won the George Piggins Medal in 2025 as the Rabbitohs’ player of the year.
He also won the Bob McCarthy club person of the year award in 2025, the Souths Cares Award for outstanding contributions to the community and The Burrow Appreciation Award in 2024.
Arrow was also a finalist for the NRL’s Ken Stephen Medal in 2025 for his work with Souths Cares, Whatability and Vinnies Vans.
Arrow also had four seasons at Gold Coast following his two-season stint at the Broncos and played 12 games for Queensland between 2018 and 2023.
He helped the Maroons win series in 2020, 2022 and 2023 while also playing in the Rabbitohs’ 2021 grand final loss to Penrith.

The Queensland Origin star somehow managed a laugh as the news broke (pictured)

Arrow is pictured left with teammate Tom Dearden after helping Queensland to victory in the 2022 State of Origin series
Arrow’s diagnosis comes two and a half years after former Maroons hardman Carl Webb died of MND aged 42.
The rugby league world was also rocked when Western Suburbs, Balmain and North Sydney great Scott Gale died of the debilitating condition at just 39 in 2004.
Motor neurone disease is a rare condition that mainly affects people in their 60s and 70s, but it can hit adults of all ages.
It’s caused by a problem with cells in the brain and nerves called motor neurones. These cells gradually stop working over time. It’s not known why this happens.
Motor neurones control the muscles responsible for movement, speech and breathing.
Early symptoms can include weakness in your ankle or leg, like finding it hard to walk upstairs; slurred speech, finding it hard to swallow, a weak grip, and gradual weight loss.
MND has also struck in the AFL, with footy legend Neale Daniher diagnosed with the condition in 2013.
News
I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE… THEY’RE EVERYWHERE! — Residents across regional Western Australia are describing horrifying scenes as a growing mouse plague sends thousands of rodents swarming through homes, farms, cars, and businesses.
As Western Australians battle a rodent plague, regional residents have begun recounting horrifying experiences of mice in beds and cars….
HE WAS FOUND D-Y:ING IN THE GARDEN BELOW… — Three people have now been charged with m-u:rder after a man d!ed following a horrifying balcony fall at an apartment complex in Castle Hill, Sydney.
The man died after being found seriously injured in a garden outside an apartment complex. Three people have been charged…
THEY’RE STILL ASKING WHERE MOMMY IS..?! – Two young boys were allegedly blindfolded by their own mother and abandoned in a forest during what authorities described as a cruel “treasure hunt” game that quickly turned into every child’s nightmare.
Two brothers, aged 3 and 5, have been rescued after their parents allegedly abandoned them in a Portuguese forest following…
THEY NEVER MADE IT OUT… — The b0dies of four Italian divers have now been discovered deep inside an underwater cave system in the Maldives following a devastating diving tragedy that has shocked the world.
Five perished at the cave diving site, as recovery plans continue. Bodies of missing divers recovered in Maldives The bodies…
SHE D!ED DOING WHAT SHE LOVED… — The heartbroken mother of the soldier who tragically lost her life at the Royal Windsor Horse Show has shared an emotional tribute, saying her daughter was happiest while serving alongside horses.
A SOLDIER who died at the Royal Windsor Horse Show was “doing what she loved”, her heartbroken mother has said….
JUST MINS AGO: KING CHARLES has reportedly made a shocking move following the tragic d3ath of a service person connected to the Royal Windsor Horse Show.
The King was “greatly shocked” and “saddened” to have learned of the death of a service person who fell from…
End of content
No more pages to load






