A group of Australians detained by Israel while trying to deliver aid to Gaza are set to be released and deported in the next 24 hours.
The 11 Australians were among 400 people taking part in the Global Sumud Flotilla to Gaza before being intercepted by Israeli forces at gunpoint in international waters on Tuesday.
In a statement on Thursday night, the Australian Delegation for Global Sumud Flotilla said the Australians were being taken by bus to Ramon Airport in Israel, where they were expected to board flights bound for Istanbul, Turkey.
‘No one is in harm’s way … the dealing with them was very sensitive,’ Israeli ambassador to Australia Dr Hillel Newman told reporters in Canberra on Thursday.
The detention of the flotilla group generated widespread outrage after a social media post by Israel’s National Security Minister Ben-Gvir overnight showed him gloating over flotilla participants as they were forced to their knees by guards.
In the video, Mr Ben-Gvir, who remains a minister, walks through a crowd of detainees kneeling with their heads on the floor as he smiles and berates a man whose hands are zip-tied.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar condemned their colleague National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir’s humiliation of the activists as ‘not in line with Israel’s values’.
The news of the Australians’ return is especially welcomed by Chris O’Connor who revealed on the ABC on Thursday night that his daughter Neve O’Connor, 26, claimed she was previously beaten by Israeli soldiers.

+6
View gallery
Eleven Australians, including Neve O’Connor (above), have been released after their flotilla headed for Gaza was intercepted by Israeli soldiers

+6
View gallery
Ms O’Connor’s father, Chris O’Connor (above), claimed his daughter was beaten when an earlier flotilla was intercepted on April 29
Ms O’Connor, from Melbourne, was part of a separate flotilla which was intercepted near the Greek island of Crete on April 29.
She claimed it was during that previous interception that she was viciously beaten by a member of the Israeli Defence Force.
‘She said she was kneed in the face, she was punched in the ribs, she was dragged across the outdoor area,’ Mr O’Connor told ABC’s 7.30 on Thursday night.
‘The psychological torture was being in a stress position for many hours. They were sprayed with water and were subject to hypothermic conditions overnight, because it was very cold in the containers.’
Ms O’Connor was hospitalised in Crete following the interception but decided to join the latest flotilla headed for Gaza on Tuesday. She has not spoken to relatives since boarding.
Dr Newman also sat down with 7.30 host Sarah Ferguson on Thursday night.
He denied the Australians, or any other captives, had been subject to violence.
‘Every time there’s a flotilla, there are false narratives and false accusations against the security forces of Israel,’ Newman said.

+6
View gallery
Disturbing footage earlier showed the flotilla captees being forced to kneel with their hands behind their backs (above)
‘The flotilla itself is a provocation totally unnecessary. He argued aid could get through by other legitimate means and the blockade on Gaza was backed by the UN and prevented the smuggling of weapons into the region.
‘I know that you’re also going to interview the father (Mr O’Connor),’ Dr Newman said.
‘I just want to say to the father, I sympathise with the daughter because she has been taken up, swept up by a movement that does not check the facts.’
Mr O’Connor flatly refused Newman’s denial of violence inflicted by the IDF.
‘If you see the photos, there were plenty of photos of people with bruises,’ Mr O’Connor said.
‘There were plenty of photos of people who had fractured ribs, plenty of video testimony.
‘So no, I absolutely reject that it’s just a lie.’
Jacinta McEwen – whose son Surya McEwen has taken part in the aid effort – said the parents of the detained activists were overcome with relief about their release.

+6
View gallery
Mr O’Connor said of his daughter’s (aove) treatment by the IDF: ‘She was kneed in the face, she was punched in the ribs, she was dragged across the outdoor area’
Read More
Israeli security minister sparks fury with video taunting Gaza activists tied up and made to kneel

‘But we are so angry that the reason our kids sailed in the first place is because of the failure of Foreign Minister Penny Wong and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to show a spine as they watched children be murdered and starved to death,’ she said.
‘We demand the government step up and do their jobs so the next lot of kids don’t have to sail again in six months’ time.’
Mr McEwen has previously been detained by Israeli forces after taking part in other flotilla attempts.
Last time, he had his head slammed against a steel wall and a dislocated shoulder, a broken collarbone and broken ribs from being kicked in the chest, his mother said.
Palestinian-Australian Global Sumud Flotilla spokesperson Subhi Awad said Mr Ben-Gvir showed the world how Israel treated unarmed civilians aiming to deliver food.
‘Imagine what they do to Palestinians every day off camera,’ the statement said.
Adalah Lawyers – a legal team acting for Arab minority rights in Israel – have received complaints from the flotilla activists about the use of tasers and rubber bullets, sexual harassment and degradation.
Foreign Minister Penny Wong has called for the release of the Australians after condemning the video posted by Mr Ben-Gvir.

+6
View gallery
Ms O’Connor (above) and the other Australian prisoners were to be taken by bus to Ramon Airport in Israel, where they were expected to board flights bound for Istanbul, Turkey
‘The images we have seen posted by Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir – who Australia has sanctioned – are shocking and unacceptable,’ Senator Wong said on X.
‘We condemn his actions and the degrading actions of Israeli authorities towards those detained.’
Senator Wong directed the Department of Foreign Affairs to call in Dr Newman to reinforce her message.
He met departmental officials in Canberra on Thursday.
The Executive Council of Australian Jewry slammed Mr Ben-Gvir for his ‘disgraceful’ treatment of the activists.
‘Nothing can excuse the appalling behaviour displayed by minister Ben-Gvir against a group of people who were being held in custody in Israel,’ president Daniel Aghion said.
News
HE MIGHT BE IN DANGER..! – Chilling details have emerged after police discovered a pair of shoes believed to belong to missing man Taylor, who was last seen on 8 May near a Tesco in the Seven Brethren area.
Detectives say a large-scale police investigation is continuing as part of efforts to find a missing Devon teenager. Devon and…
THEY SAY THEY HAVEN’T RECEIVED A SINGLE CENT…! — The grieving family of Kumanjayi Little Baby say they are still broke and homeless despite thousands of dollars reportedly being donated by compassionate strangers following the heartbreaking tragedy.
It has been almost a month since their little girl was allegedly snatched from her bed in the dead of…
I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE… THEY’RE EVERYWHERE! — Residents across regional Western Australia are describing horrifying scenes as a growing mouse plague sends thousands of rodents swarming through homes, farms, cars, and businesses.
As Western Australians battle a rodent plague, regional residents have begun recounting horrifying experiences of mice in beds and cars….
THIS INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT TIME HAS ONLY JUST BEGUN…— Footy star Jai Arrow has delivered a heartbreaking health update after revealing a devastating incurable diagnosis that has forced him into early retirement at just 30 years old.
South Sydney and former Queensland State of Origin enforcer Jai Arrow will retire from the NRL immediately after being diagnosed…
HE WAS FOUND D-Y:ING IN THE GARDEN BELOW… — Three people have now been charged with m-u:rder after a man d!ed following a horrifying balcony fall at an apartment complex in Castle Hill, Sydney.
The man died after being found seriously injured in a garden outside an apartment complex. Three people have been charged…
THEY’RE STILL ASKING WHERE MOMMY IS..?! – Two young boys were allegedly blindfolded by their own mother and abandoned in a forest during what authorities described as a cruel “treasure hunt” game that quickly turned into every child’s nightmare.
Two brothers, aged 3 and 5, have been rescued after their parents allegedly abandoned them in a Portuguese forest following…
End of content
No more pages to load






