The World Health Organisation has addressed pandemic concerns.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a “public health emergency of international concern”.
The WHO said the outbreak, caused by the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency but said countries sharing land borders with DRC are at high risk for further spread.

The UN health agency said in a statement on X that 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been reported as of Saturday in DRC’s Ituri province across at least three health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu.
The DRC health ministry had said on Friday that 80 people had died in the new outbreak in the eastern province.
There could potentially be a much larger outbreak than what is currently being detected and reported, the WHO said, given the high positivity rate of the initial samples and increasing number of suspected cases being reported.
No treatment or cure for Ebola strain
The outbreak is “extraordinary” as there are no approved Bundibugyo virus-specific therapeutics or vaccines, unlike for Ebola-zaire strains, it said.
The DRC-Uganda outbreak poses a public health risk to other countries, with some such cases of an international spread already documented, the agency said, advising countries to activate their national disaster and emergency-management mechanisms and undertake cross-border screening and screening at main internal roads.
In Uganda’s capital, Kampala, two apparently unrelated laboratory-confirmed cases, including one death, were reported on Friday and Saturday, from people travelling from the DRC, the WHO said.
A laboratory-confirmed case was also reported in the DRC capital, Kinshasa, from a person returning from Ituri, the WHO said.
Bundibugyo virus-disease contacts or cases should not travel internationally, unless as part of a medical evacuation, the WHO said.
The agency advised immediately isolating confirmed cases and monitoring contacts daily, with restricted national travel and no international travel until 21 days after exposure.
At the same time, the WHO urged countries not to close their borders or restrict travel and trade out of fear, as this could lead to people and goods making informal border crossings that are not monitored.
News
Mystery surrounds the deaths of a man and woman whose bodies were found in Melbourne home.
Mystery surrounds the deaths of a man and woman whose bodies were found in Melbourne home. Police were conducting a…
BABY ON THE WAY..?! – GOOD NEWS! MAFS 2026 couple Stella Mickunaite and Filip Gregov have officially announced they are getting married after the show — but it’s one emotional comment from Filip that has fans completely spiralling online.
GOOD NEWS! Stella Mickunaite and Filip Gregov from MAFS 2026 Have Officially Announced They Are Getting Married After the Show:…
JUST IN: BILLY SLATER BREAKS SILENCE AFTER DROPPING REECE WALSH FROM QUEENSLAND ORIGIN SQUAD..!
Billy Slater has unveiled one of the boldest Queensland State of Origin squads in recent memory, naming six debutants and…
SHE’S MORTIFIED… PEOPLE THINK IT’S A STUNT! – Mystery is deepening after Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews was officially declared a missing person five days after reportedly vanishing without a trace.
The British star says she last spoke to her husband on Wednesday when he had “ties around his hand and…
HE WAS A FUN-LOVING, GOOD-SPIRITED KID.. – The family of a notorious teenage offender k-i:lled in a fatal stolen ute crash has spoken out emotionally, defending him against growing public criticism following the tragedy.
A notorious teen offender who was killed in a horror crash in an allegedly stolen ute over the weekend has…
THE ASTOUNDING COST OF DELTA GOODREM’S EUROVISION GOWN HAS FINALLY BEEN REVEALED..!
Delta Goodrem may have walked off the Eurovision stage in fourth place but her frock was certainly a winner. The singer…
End of content
No more pages to load





