Royal bombshell: Meghan’s ‘The Gentleman’ role may be driving a sh-o-ck UK return — and Harry’s move toward Charles has a deeper reason
THE Duchess of Sussex is in advanced talks for a major role in Guy Ritchie’s hit Netflix gangster comedy The Gentlemen.
Meghan, 45, is said to be “very excited” at the prospect of acting again, and it is believed to be a key reason why she and Prince Harry are returning to the UK from the States.

The Duchess of Sussex is understood to be in advanced talks to play a temptress in The GentlemenCredit: Getty Images Ms. Foundation for

Meghan, who is making an acting comeback, joined Suits as legal assistant Rachel Zane in 2011Credit: NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images
Meghan is set to play a temptress in the Netflix gangster-comedy about an aristocratic family who turn to crime.
The main character is a duke who formerly served in the Army — just like Meghan’s husband Prince Harry, 41.
The hugely-popular first series in 2024 was even advertised with the slogan “every heir needs a spare”, echoing Harry and brother William.
It featured Ritchie hallmarks such as murky underworld thugs, illegal drugs, sex, bad language and gory murders.
Meghan, who we revealed last week is returning to the UK imminently with Harry and their two kids, also has a strong relationship with Netflix.
An insider said: “The gossip in TV circles is that Meghan could play the ultimate temptress, who puts the cat among the pigeons by seducing an aristocrat.
“The Gentlemen would be perfect for her. It’s a big budget, glossy production and quintessentially British. And because it is on Netflix that gives it a huge global audience.
“In fact, it is one of the streaming giant’s biggest hits of recent years.
“It would see her star opposite Theo James, who plays Eddie Horniman, the 13th Duke of Halstead, and is a frontrunner to be the new James Bond.
“Everything about the project screams quality, but it is one with a bit of an edge too.”
Series 2 drops on Netflix on September 3.
Meghan is understood to be “very excited” at the prospect of a role in the show, and Netflix are expected to announce the commissioning of Series 3 next week.
Other stars include Vinnie Jones and Joely Richardson.

Harry is also said to be moving back to the UK to be closer to his father King CharlesCredit: Samir Hussein/WireImage

Meghan is returning to the UK imminently with Prince HarryCredit: Getty Images for W+P
Meghan may also appear with Maya Jama, who is in Series 2 and will return in Series 3, as confirmed by The Sun.
Meghan’s last major role was in hit US drama Suits, which she left in late 2017.
She put her acting career on hold after marrying Harry in 2018 and said she had begun a “new chapter” — later becoming mum to Archie, seven, and Lilibet, five.
Since news of Meghan’s return to acting broke on Thursday, speculation has been rife about what her next role could be.
People guessed she could be the new James Bond, or a character on EastEnders, Line of Duty or even the upcoming Harry Potter TV series.
She is confirmed to have a cameo in film comedy Close Personal Friends, with Lily Collins and Brie Larson.
The Gentlemen tells the story of Eddie, who inherits the family’s 15,000-acre estate and duke title, then partners with crime boss Susie Glass (Kaya Scodelario) to turn the stately home into an underground cannabis farm.
The pair battle to keep international gangs from seizing their empire, and Eddie constantly has to keep younger brother Freddy (Daniel Ings) out of trouble.

Meghan is said to have been inspired to make a comeback to the world of acting due to the lure of working with director Guy RitchieCredit: Splash
Freddy’s glam wife Tammy is played by Chanel Cresswell, who also starred as The Sun’s Scarlet Howes in a Channel 5 drama about the downfall of paedo BBC newsreader Huw Edwards.
The Gentlemen is mostly filmed at the Badminton estate, Gloucs, on the edge of Meghan’s beloved Cotswolds, and seven miles from King Charles’s Highgrove home.
William and Harry’s great-great gran Queen Mary lived at Badminton House for most of World War Two, to the annoyance of owners the Duke and Duchess of Beaufort.
King Charles II bestowed the first Dukedom of Beaufort on Henry Somerset in 1682.
The estate is also the home of the Badminton Horse Trials, which the Royal Family often attend.
Other filming locations for The Gentlemen include Loseley Park in Surrey, Alperton Studios in North West London, and pubs in the capital.
We previously reported that Meghan will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever when she returns to the UK and hopes to expand it globally.
Sources in the US have also told The Sun that she and Harry have secretly told pals they will return to the US and keep their home in Montecito fully staffed.
One source said: “They will return to California in the long term but are moving to the UK to be closer to Charles while he copes with illness, and because Meghan has secured this secret role.”
The source said Meghan and Harry “want their kids to be close to their grandad, the King”, adding: “They are coming back to the UK but this is a short-term plan.
“They have assured those who work with them in the US that this is not a long-term move and that they will be back.
“They are not selling Montecito and are absolutely not stepping back from their many projects.

Netflix’s The Gentlemen tells the story of Eddie, who inherits the family’s 15,000-acre estate and duke title

Meghan starred in Suits alongside actors such as Patrick J. Adams, who plays Michael RossCredit: Getty
“Not living close to Los Angeles these days doesn’t mean you have to walk away from the business.
“Harry is heading to the UK to spend more time with Charles as he battles cancer and that aspect of their move is a very emotional one for them.”
The Sussexes are said to still be working on new projects in California. But there has been talk that they are not popular in the town where they live in a nine-bedroom mansion.
Yesterday some neighbours said they were “thrilled” the couple are moving out.
A staffer at a popular store at the Montecito Country Mart said: “They’re the only celebrities here who go around with bodyguards.
“Other A-listers just as famous and likely richer than them walk around casually like any normal person.”
Mary Sheldon, owner of the Tecolote bookstore, said: “I have been speaking to my friends about why they’re moving out. We can’t figure it out. This town has everything for them.”
Ritchie, 57, who also directs and produces The Gentlemen, loves to give his celeb pals cameos in his TV shows and movies.
Sir David Beckham has had small roles in Ritchie films including The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.
After the surprise success of The Gentlemen’s first series — a spin-off of Ritchie’s 2019 film of the same name — Netflix quickly ordered a second. But getting the cast back together proved tricky which is why it has taken two years to return.
The third series, however, is expected to happen much more quickly, with filming set to start before the end of the year and a drop-date towards the end of next year.
Meghan has a good relationship with Netflix due to her two series, and a Christmas special of her lifestyle show, With Love, Meghan, released last year.
The Sussexes made their autobiographical documentary Harry & Meghan with the streaming giant in 2024.
Netflix also aired their documentary Polo in 2022.
Meghan’s past roles also include being a “briefcase girl” on the US version of Deal or No Deal.
In 2011 she joined Suits as legal assistant Rachel Zane, starring alongside the likes of Patrick J Adams and Gabriel Macht.